The Sandham Memorial Chapel at Burghclere in Hampshire is an extraordinary place. It was built between 1924 and 1927 by Louis and Mary Behrend in memory of Mary’s brother Lieutenant Henry Willoughby Sandham, who had died just after the First World War from wounds received on military service in Macedonia. The Behrends had asked Stanley Spencer to decorate it, and he was able to dictate the proportions of the building and the layout of the paintings in it.
Holding back the tide of hens and stags is a mug’s game
Many beautiful cities have tried and failed to tame the rowdy crowds.